Earn Your CDL

You’re adventurous. You know you want to do things a little bit differently than what “everyone else” is doing. A career in trucking checks all the boxes. Best of all, it’s easy to get started.

If you’re at least 16 and have a valid Maine driver’s license, you can begin working towards your Maine Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). How? Just follow these 3 simple steps.

Get your CDL permit.

Getting your permit is your first step, and you get it similar to the way you got your driver’s license. If you learn better on your own, Download a CDL manual from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and study it to pass the written test. We have some online Audio Study Sessions to help. Prefer formal instruction? Check out our list of schools to find a program that will offer you in-person instruction.

Get experience behind the wheel. 

If you are in a formal instruction program, they will get you all the practice you need behind the wheel.  If not, another option is to go to one of the many local trucking companies that offer mentorship programs (think of it like an internship) especially if you want to start your driving career with them. 

Apply for your CDL road test.

Finish training and request a driving test. Once you’ve passed, you’ve got yourself a Maine CDL and are ready to go anywhere you want. Wherever you want to call home, you’ll be there. However you want to live your life, you can. The world of trucking is yours to explore.


Spend the next 10+ years paying back student debt? Nope. Train for a high-paying career driving big trucks? Well now, that’s something else.

Explore careers

Set your sights on
the road ahead

Ready to live a life that works for you? Trucking can get you there. Here’s what you need.

View Qualifications/

You’ve got drive.
Bring it.

When it’s time to get ready for the CDL driving exam, we’re here to help 

Off to Exam Info

What’s a CDL?

Adventure meet work. Over-the-Road drivers get to travel the country and earn a paycheck doing it. Some drivers work in teams, others prefer to kick it by themselves. Either way, you build a life that works for you.


You’ll want a Class A CDL if you want to operate a combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more lbs and if the GVWR of a vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs. It’s heavy, we know. These are the types of vehicles we’re talking about:

  • Tractor-trailers
  • Truck and trailer combinations
  • Tanker trailers
  • Box trailers
  • Flatbeds

Class B

A Class B license is for you if you want to operate a single unit vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or if that vehicle is going to tow a vehicle with a GVWR NOT in excess of 10,000 lbs. These are the types of vehicles we’re talking about:

  • Straight trucks
  • Dump trucks
  • Box trucks
  • Likely any of these towing a trailer


Now. There’s 1 more thing you need to know. If you’re going to drive around certain types of vehicles, you will need a CDL Endorsement attached to your CDL. Think of an endorsement as a big OK. You’ll have to pass a specialized endorsement test if you want to drive one of the following:

  • Hazardous Materials (H)
  • Tank Vehicle (N)
  • Passenger (Bus) Vehicle (P)
  • School Bus carrying over 15 passengers (S)
  • Double/Triple Trailer (T)
  • Combination Tank Hazardous Materials (X)


Want to learn more? We’ll help you get started.

Contact MMTA